Manchester United's [Images] Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo [Images] will not face charges over allegations in October that he was involved in the rape of a woman in a London [Images] hotel, police said on Friday.
Scotland Yard said the Crown Prosecution Service had decided there was insufficient evidence to proceed.
"The two men arrested during the course of this investigation will face no further action by police in connection with this matter," a police spokesman said.
Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes has said the allegation involving the United player was the "product of imagination and fantasy".
Ronaldo, 20, has been a big hit at United since signing from Sporting Lisbon in August 2003, when he was saddled with the task of replacing England [Images] captain David Beckham [Images] at Old Trafford.
He helped hosts Portugal reach the final of Euro 2004, scoring in the semi-final victory over the Netherlands, and was one of Portugal's most consistent performers throughout their successful bid to reach the 2006 World Cup.
Earlier this month, the winger agreed a two-year contract extension with United that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2010.
|© Copyright 2008 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.|